Thursday, January 25, 2007

Out of Line

Wolf Blitzer's question to Cheney regarding Focus on the Family's statement that gently condemns Cheney's lesbian daughter for becoming pregnant has sparked an intense debate. Admittedly, my first reaction, which I expressed in comments on a couple of blogs, was to sympathize with Cheney. "Wolf was out of line. Period" I wrote on one blog. But I've been thinking hard about this.

First, the real offense was created by Focus on the Family, not Wolf. I will condemn their statement. Wolf merely asked whether Cheney had a reaction he'd like to share.

Second, Cheney will have been at Bush's side for eight years when they leave, much of which Bush will have spent condemning homosexuality and working to marginalize gays and lesbians. What has Cheney done to stop this?

So yes, my first reaction was to be appalled by Wolf's question, but after putting everything in context I just can't sympathize very much. Sorry Dick.

No comments: